"... to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet" (Proverbs 27:7)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Manifest Presence..


Part 1 of 2

Most people are aware and accustomed to the "omnipresence" of God. We understand that He fills all things, and is everywhere at all times. He is unlimited by time and space; He is present simultaneously in all places. He fills the whole earth (Isa 6:3; 43:2; Eph 1:23; 1 Cor 3:16). The Scriptures repeatedly testify to this truth: "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there" (Ps 139:7-8). Again, the Bible says, "Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off? Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD" (Jer 23:23-24).

However, did you know that God is also to be recognized via His "manifest presence"? This "presence" is different from God's omnipresence. This "presence" is a special manifestation of Himself. The Bible testifies to this truth as well: "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him" (Jn 14:21). Notice the qualifier that this verse possesses: "He that hath my commandments AND keepeth them...I will manifest myself" The Greek word used here for "manifest" means, "to exhibit in person, to appear, to declare plainly, to shew or signify". Does your heart long for such an appearance? Mine sure does!

Again, concerning such a manifestation, the Bible says "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you" (Jn 16:13-14).

We see such instances all throughout Scripture:

- Moses knew the manifest presence of God: "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend" (Exod 33:11). Surely this was a special manifestation, not the omnipresence of God.

- So did David: "O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary" (Ps 63:1-2). The sanctuary was the place where the visible fire and force of God descended upon the Mercy Seat (Ark). David is referring to a literal manifestation here. "Strength and beauty are in his sanctuary" (Ps 96:6).

- And Paul too: "Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion" (2 Tim 4:17).

- Israel also experienced this phenomenon: "It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD; So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God" (2 Chron 5:13-14).

- The Bible encourages us to seek such personal communion as well: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me" (Rev 3:20).

- "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you" (Jas 4:8).

- "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth" (Ps 145:18).

For whatever reason, we will heartily agree with God's past interactions with men like Moses or Paul, yet we conclude such a manifestation is improbable for us. Why is that? Personally, I grew up in church, yet never knew of the "manifest presence" of God. Sure I knew that God was everywhere (omnipresent), but I never experienced any sort of special manifestation. It wasn't until later that Jesus specially revealed Himself to me. That manifestation dramatically changed the course of my life; I will never be the same (Ps 68:1)! He has been mercifully manifesting Himself to me ever since.

Similarly, I fear that there are countless people who are stuck in a religious system, and who (like me) have never experienced a manifestation of God's person and glory. But if we truly believe the testimony of Scripture, then we must conclude that this mindset is error. Jesus is an experiential God - He's not to be seen or noticed from afar off, but to be realized via immersion!

This may seem elementary, but I'm sure we would be surprised at the masses of Christians who never partake of such a Godly blessing! We can become so accustomed to the presence of God that we never actually stop and think about the hoards of believers who are without it. People are perishing because of a lack of knowledge (Hos 4:6)! They do not realize their potential as Christians.. And the first step is to simply KNOW that such a manifestation is possible, and even encouraged: "The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit" (2 Tim 4:22).

So now that we understand the possibility and potential of such a special manifestation, how are we to enter in and partake?

To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment